Turmeric Tart Crust
This recipe is adapted from Bryant Terry’s “Vegan Soul Kitchen.” I’ve replaced coconut butter with cow’s milk butter, apple cider vinegar with white vinegar and orange juice and replaced the white flour with whole wheat pastry flour. If you’re vegan, or prefer a white-flour crust, have at it!
- 2 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup chilled butter
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp orange juice
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp water
- Sift dry ingredients (flour, turmeric, salt).
- Using a pastry blender, blend butter in with flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Combine vinegar, orange juice, and water. Then, add slowly to dry ingredients, mixing well (but not overworking the dough either) until dough begins to come together. Flatten into a disc, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest in the fridge for one hour.
- Use as directed in recipe.